Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Member Spotlight - Risa Young!!

What a pleasure to bring you Ransome Rose - Risa Young!!
Tell us a little about youself and your favorite scrapping subjects.
HI, I'm Risa, I'm 42 years old, and I've lived in Thomasville, Georgia since first grade! My husband Randy and I have been married 21 years this coming August. We are blessed with two children - Marion Rose (8) and Ransom Lee (3). I taught middle-school band for 14 years, and am presently teaching middle-school chorus. Hubby and I both teach in the same school system that we ourselves went to. We love being part of small-town life and knowing so many people. We live in a little block house (we've remodeled 3 times!) on a dirt road named Egg and Butter Road. As of last summer, we have a little barn, a pasture, and three horses behind our house. We love it out here!

Of course, my 2 younguns' are my MAIN SUBJECTS in my scrapping! I take piles of pictures, with my favorites being those everyday, spur-of-the-moment snapshots! I keep my camera with me all the time, and now hubby and kiddies think like I do - "Grab the camera!" or "Are you gonna scrap that, Mommy?" . My number one obsession is scrapbooking, but I also love to play the flute and piano, ride horses, cross-stitch, watch movies, and read. Unfortunately since the kiddies have come along, there's not much time to do much of those things!

When did you start scrapbooking?
I kept a scrapbook when I was in high school, but didn't really get started until after Marion Rose was born. I was given a Winnie-the-Pooh scrapbook kit, complete with album, for a baby gift. It sat in the closet until she was 2 years old, and I got it out one day....my first album! Right after that, I was invited to a Creative Memories party, went home with the WHOLE WORKS, and you know the rest of the story! I've always been crafty, but I knew I had FOUND MY HOME when I started scrapping! I still get just as excited about it now as I did then - no, maybe more!

Who are your favorite manufacturers?
I say it now, and I'll say it again - I LOVE THEM ALL!!!!!! But if I had to name a few favorites.......American Crafts, Basic Grey, Fancy Pants, K and Company,Prima....you get the picture!!!

What are your favorite embellishments?
I say it now, and I'll say it again - I LOVE THEM ALL!!! tee hee. Really hard to say. But I do love Thickers alphabets, any kind of bling, Stickles, chipboard, rub-ons, and on and on.

How does your creative process work?
Usually, I start with a challenge or sketch. Then I select my picture(s), and I have so many to choose from! The children by year, heritage, hubby and I (before kids), Christmas, my childhood. So many pictures, so little time! After selecting my pictures, I start fondling my supplies, picking and choosing which papers, embellishments, etc. I get so much pleasure with this process, going back through my stash to see what will be perfect! I am a slow scrapper, because of this, I admit. But I love it!

How would you describe your style?
Here, there, and everywhere! A little bit of everything, heavy on the embellishments. I do alot of inking/tearing - I like distressing my apers/supplies. Not as much journaling as I need to do - writing is not my strong point (hmmm....I wonder what is?) Bright, colorful, full of life, I guess you could say.

Where do you find your inspiration?
I am a challenge/sketch lover, and scrap best starting with one. The Survival programs here at Homegrown are absolutely PERFECT for me!! I love to scraplift - I admit it! I always give the credit due, and am so thankful to the many incredible talents out there. Design teams, on-line galleries, scrapping magazines - I "study" them all the time, trying to "absorb" their creativity. I carry a scrap magazine around with me all the time. I am also inspired by my kids, and nature, and the books I read, and the songs I hear.....I.always find myself thinking , "Now, THAT would be a great scrapbook page!"

Cold Water Fun (the orange one) - Inspired by Melissa McCartney, Homegrown Member
Angel Eyes, Inspired by Leenah Loh, Homegrown DT member

Advice......is all me! All of my layouts aren't lifted, or inspired by, but alot of them lately are, cause I love the Spring Survival sketches/challenges, etc.

2 comments:

emelyn said...

woohoo, Risa! GREAT to meet you!

MichelleB said...

So nice to meet you Risa! Love your style!