Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Color Challenge!!

Color
Seems can seem like such a simple thing however, it can become incredibly complicated when trying to create a balance and unity on a scrapbook page. A few years ago I took a class at a LSS on incorporating color schemes into scrapbook pages. The instructor (I so wish I could remember her name) did an incredible job approaching color. She completed three layouts with the same exact pictures each with a different color scheme. It was simply amazing how matching purple with a sunset could bring out a totally different look and feel of the photo and layout. I was so inspired by her message of thinking out of the box on color that her message has stayed with me throughout my scrapping years!

This is one of the easiest to understand color wheels I have found:



Color Challenge

For this color challenge I would like you to select a photo or photo’s to scrap and while you would normally be going through your paper selections think outside the box. For example – If you would normally select a blue paper scheme head directly across the color wheel and use orange instead. If you are really brave you could substitute green instead of blue!!

Another way to think about color in scrapbooking is to decide what mood you want your layout to have. Certain colors will dictate the entire mood of a layout.
Cool colors like purple, blue and green tend to inspire feelings of tranquility and peace. Warm colors such as red, yellow and orange evoke energy and playfulness.
It is certainly fine to mix both cool and warm colors on your layouts however, you do need to pay attention to how you mix them so you don’t affect the mood you want your layout to represent.

Have fun with color and I can’t wait to see what you create!
Melissa Bierlein

2 comments:

jude said...

I tried this one....I normally would have used blues for this page, to match the sky and ocean, but I went with orange, green and brown instead... gave the photo a whole different feeling than when I put it with blues...
http://homegrownscrapbooks.com/forums/photo.aspx?photoid=6080&asortType=6&apage=1

April Holguin said...

here is one that I tried, instead of going for the greens and browns, I used orange, teal and yellow.

http://homegrownscrapbooks.com/forums/photo.aspx?photoid=6107&asortType=6&apage=1