Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Homegrown Project of the Week!!


As I lay in bed last night not able to sleep I designed this layout in my head! I was thinking about my Grandmother and the church she was so dedicated to. Poe Babtist church. It's out in the middle of no where and Sunday service is often ten or twelve people. But the church keeps plugging along!
I designed this layout for my All about me Album. It started out to be about childhood memories of summers at Grandma's which included Sunday School and Vacation Bible School.
This morning I started searching for a photo of the church to complete the layout and I found this one. The date in the bottom right hand corner is 9/11/2001.
Not only was this the day that our country was attacked and thousands lost their lives. It was also the day of my Grandmother funeral.
As we celebrated her long, fulfilled life (she died at age 97) others were losing their loved ones to a terrible tragedy.
The second page of the layout is an entire page of journaling. Childhood memories, what my Grandmother meant to me and most of all remembering the tragedy of that day. I guess this is a salute to 9/11 with a twist!!
Layout was made with a previous months Hybrid Kit - Crate Paper. Everything is from the kit except the stamps are of course Ronna Farrer and the flower centers are Making Memories Gems.
I stamped the cardstock first then laid two strips of paper across the cardstock covering part of the doodle stamps. Then added the leaf ribbon and flower border. I cut a photo frame to use as photo corners because it was not quite big enough for the photo!
Enjoy, Melissa

2 comments:

Kimber McGray said...

Melissa,
What a story. Thank you for sharing it!

~*Heather Woodbury*~ said...

Melissa,
This is just as beautiful as the story is poignant!